Oct 10, 2012

I love the smell of cinnamon and apples!

So this week we processed about around 10 lbs of apples! The goal, to make applesauce and apple butter!
 First step: Wash ALL of the apples!
 Second Step: Peel!

 Third Step: Quarter and Core
 Fourth Step: Slice
 Fifth Step: Cook!

It took two full days to get through all of the apples, as they had to be done in stages.

After getting the first batch of applesauce completely cooked, I pureed it so as to get all of the lumps out. I filled a 5.5quart crock pot with the puree, added 2 cups of sugar, 6 tablespoons of cinnamon, and 2 teaspoons of ground cloves, and cooked it on high for about an hour (to get it to boiling temp again). Then it cooked on low over night, for about 10 hours. I managed to fill 12 pint-sized jars with the apple butter (which turned out absolutely delicious)!

While the apple butter was cooking in the crock pot, I continued to process the rest of the apples and canned about 6 quarts of unsweetened apple sauce.

I am very pleased with how my first canning experience turned out! It definitely gave me some perspective as far as timing and ratios go! I'm definitely looking forward to canning in the future!

No comments: